Thursday, March 11, 2010

New Understanding

Today, I listened to a cello recital...I was only able to listen to the first 30min before leaving to go to dinner. The cellist performed Debussy. Like Hindemith, I didn't understand the music. I thought, if the performer put enough passion and emotion into the piece, I would be able to understand it better. It's either I really didn't understand, or the performer didn't put enough emotion into it...I calmly watched her play, wondering just exactly what was Debussy feeling while he wrote the piece. Nothing came out of it. One day, if I finally understand Debussy's mind and hear this piece again, would it feel the same? It's funny how something you saw might seem different the next time you see it. Like that FedEx logo. I never noticed that there's an arrow between the E and x until someone mentioned it. Now, every time I see it, the arrow jumps out at me and I can't stop myself from paying attention to it unless I forget about it. Maybe Debussy will be like that for me one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment