Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fading






I started watching this Taiwanese series called Next Stop, Happiness/ Autumn's Concerto. I have no idea why the English title is so different from the translation of the original title. But anyways, I watched it because all of my friends who watched it recommended it, so I did....that, and I was bored. In the series, the main guy character got tumor and lost his memory (yeah that sounds more like a Korean plotline). For six years, all the people around him...his mom, his fiance, his would-be-father-in-law, his lover (whom he forgot he ever met because he lost his memory)...lied to him about his past. They all thought it was for his own good. So he lived in lies for six years, not knowing that the person he truly loves isn't his fiance. When he finally remembered, he was in shock (no surprise there). That made me think of something...if you lost your memory....would you still have the same personality? The main guy kind of changed his personality because of his mom and would-be-father-in-law...but in real life....would you still be the same person, except without memories? And if you did become a different person because you lost your memories....when you get them back, would you be the person you were? Or person you are now? Random questions, I know...it's just interesting...

Also....I think...gradually losing memories...forgetting certain events, or people...it's like gradually losing your eyesight. Those memories become blurred, like how your eyesight becomes worse as you age. The only difference is....when you completely forget a person, or an event....you don't know it ever existed. But when you lose your eyesight, you still know that the things you saw in front of you were there...unless of course, you forgot about them. Today, I was spacing out in class and remembered someone whom I haven't thought of for the longest time...it was my sister's god-mother....well, previous god-mother. My mom and her friends haven't heard from her for years that they don't even know where she is. I just remembered that my sister used to have another god-mother...and now that I think about it....I used to remember what she looks like...not that much now...I still can imagine her voice though....I wonder...even though she's insignificant....I still want to remember she existed. It's kind of scary actually....if you lose your eyesight, at least you know you saw whatever you can't see now. But once you completely forget someone or something, there's no way to get it back....unless it's really significant. What if one day, you forget someone that was once significant to you? Wouldn't that be sad? What if one day, you forget someone that IS significant to you? Wouldn't that be sadder? I think one of the hardest disease to cope with these days is Alzheimer's. Sure, cancer and other diseases are deadly....but with cancer, you still have a chance for a cure....with Alzheimer's....you just gradually forget. You forget and you don't even realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment