Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The R-word: Religion vs. Rainbow



You know, the three things I don't really talk about with friends are: politics, economy, and religion. Why? Because all three topics will just lead the conversation into debates and arguments. It'll be like setting a time bomb, which will eventually blow up. It would just be a matter of time. And this leads me to one of my pet-peeves, with religion. I honestly think that everyone has the right to choose in whatever belief system they have as long as they don't hurt anyone because it's their business. That means, I won't preach to you about my religion, or talk about how wonderful it is, so don't start preaching me. The reason why I get frustrated is because people DON'T seem to understand that even within a specific religion, there could be different ways to practice it. I mean, in Buddhism, you have all sorts of different sects. In Christianity, you have Protestants, Catholics, and whatever new ones that pop up these days. If you look at it more closely, each person has their own way to practice the same religion.

Ex. I'm Christian, but I don't go to church. I'm not a Catholic, I might be a Protestant, but to be honest, I don't know specifically which kind of Christian I am. I am simply just a Christian. So, what if I don't go to the church every Sunday? God will punish me? I think people need to open up their mind about things like this and look at it from a different stand point rather than start ranting about how God helped in so-and-so way so we should go to the church, or pray before every meal. Just because I'm Christian, don't go telling me that I have to pray, I have to go to church, I have to read the bible, or I have to constantly think of God, because that's not what I believe in. I don't think anyone has the right to persuade an individual to practice religion a certain way, because that's not what religion is about. Doing so will only piss people off on a personal level. Why can't people learn from history? All those wars caused by the act of enforcing a belief system upon a population, or the belief that those who don't follow the same religion are evil, and must be exterminated. Religion is a method in which we take up in order to get pass hardship and fears that we face in life by believing in an external force. Of course, that's only my definition of it. In additionally, the concept of religion is like looking at the rainbow. It might seem like we're looking at the same rainbow, but we are not, because we're looking at it through different raindrops. Yes, I might be naive in this, but at least I'm not disrespecting others by forcing my belief upon them.

No comments:

Post a Comment