Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dark Flames


People say that rumors can "spread like wildfires", yet a rumor is an abstract noun. It's as solid as a shadow. Once a rumor is out, it becomes and stays in existent. That's why I don't like rumors, especially false ones that people spread just because they have nothing better to do. I don't get why they would tell everyone something that never happened, or never existed.

Today, I heard a rumor about a friend of mine, and I was very annoyed, for two reasons. Firstly, a guy told I-have-no-idea-how-many-people about his relationship with my friend, which is a fantasy of his. Secondly, the people who heard told others, which increased the number of people who heard the rumor exponentially. People always say that rumors should be ignored, but that's impossible. Who would ignore a "wildfire" spreading around in unknown speed? Then, there's a saying that when there's smoke, there's a fire. What does that mean? That every rumor has a truth? Then what is the truth? The guy was obsessed with my friend to the point that he made up stories? Or did he misinterpret something and people just added spice to his story?

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm more worked up than my friend, if she finds out about the rumor. Besides being mad at the guy and people whom I heard the rumor from, now I'm having more and more question marks popping out of my head. Why was there such a rumor. Why, why, why. And this further support the fact that humans can't win against curiosity. It's a vicious cycle. Curiosity breeds doubt, which causes even more rumors, and more curiosity.

I guess the reason why I'm mad is because I'm fighting against curiosity, which is slowly eating away my confidence in my friend. There's absolutely no reason for me to doubt my friend, which is why I'm also annoyed with myself for wanting to know more through my friend. But, a true friend would believe in a friend no matter what, and would never need to ask for confirmation. That's my belief, or is that just me being naive? That's the power of rumors for you. They make you question a lot, about yourself, and the people around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment