Thursday, April 22, 2010
As Time Goes By
As Time goes by....is a good song. Haha, jk (but it really is).
It's funny how people don't realize how quickly time passes until they look back...Like just now, I realized that the last time I posted was two or three weeks ago. And also like how I just realized...I forgot one of my best friend's name from back in elementary school.....Now how am I supposed to find her on facebook or something?
There are times when I want to revisit the past, because they're a part of me...and the reminiscence of it helps me realize how far I've walked.
I just finished my Chinese Literature reading...in the reading, the narrator talks about walking down a rolling path and knowing that he's looking for an inn, but has no idea how long it would take for him to find it. Throughout the short story, his mind is on reaching the inn, but he puts it in the back of his head and tries to find a way to get there first. Along the way, he hitchhikes on a truck. When the truck breaks down, basically a mob comes out of nowhere and start robbing the contents of the truck. Even the truck driver steals the narrator's backpack that has everything he needed. As hard as he tries to stop the thieves, the narrator ends up getting beaten by the mob and gives up fighting. When the ordeal is over, the narrator climbs back into the truck and feels the same kind of warmth that he felt before leaving home, remembering his father's words of becoming an adult and venturing the world.
I guess the author is trying to say that as we walk down our paths, we're always looking to reach a general target, not knowing when we'll reach it. Our goal, the inn, will always be in front of us...but we don't know where it is exactly, nor do we know if we will ever reach it. And along the way, we might experience hardships to the point that it seems hopeless to continue walking. But in the end, there's always hope because we have walked so far and experienced so much already. I mean, wouldn't it be stupid if we give up after working so hard?
I hope to look back at my posts in the future...and ponder again how far I have walked...how many sufferings have passed...how many events, both significant and insignificant, have changed who I am. Who knows...maybe there will be a day that I have to remind myself of this view, and then laugh at myself for thinking otherwise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment