I've been doing some random thinking...like what I usually do when I'm up late with nothing to do. This time, I thought about something very important to all of us. Trust. Trust is something you build over a period of time. The longer time, the stronger trust becomes. But it is also something you can break gradually or within a second.
People react differently when it comes to trust. I happen to be one of those "gullible"/"naive" type. I completely trust a close friend the moment I think of her (my close friends are mostly girls) as a close friend. The way I viewed trust never failed me until college when I started to doubt my "philosophy". I thought there should always be trust between friends. But I find out in college that the world I thought I live in isn't that perfect. Things don't always work out for me, and people aren't perfect. My "gullible"/"naive" characteristic is starting to disappear. Is that a good or bad thing? It probably is a good thing, since I have to learn not to trust people so easily. But it's also a hard thing to accept. I can't just go with my feelings now. I have to be more technical and question myself, look for flaws in the stories I hear. That's just sad. I miss the days I don't have to think to trust someone. I mean, under normal circumstances there's no reason not to trust friends. But when you live with friends with conflicts, it's something you can't avoid. To be honest.....I have a very good friend I trusted. But I gradually started doubting her....and in a way I feel bad because she trusts me to believe her....I feel like I would be betraying her. I'm probably thinking too much...but I still feel bad that I'm stuck between believing her and not. It's getting harder for me to support her when something comes up, especially when I hear different stories from people against her. I feel like although everything seems fine on the surface, there's an invisible crack that's bound to widen and eventually break. But I don't want to end up not believing her when she actually is telling the truth. So what do I do when there comes a situation in which people are telling me stories different from her own? Who should I believe? The one person with a flawed story or the others who are biased against her?
My dad once said that it's hard to build trust and easy to break it. Now I know he's right.

No comments:
Post a Comment