Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Worst Fear




Recently, someone reminded me of a post I wrote a couple of months ago, relating to the fear of forgetting as well as having the Alzheimer's disease. This also reminded me of one of my worst fears....I mean, we all have our own fears, whether it's fear for the life or death of our relatives and friends, or little things like bugs, insects, snakes...well...snakes aren't that little. Anyways, I think, other than those fears that are pretty much basic....my worst fear concerning myself is being forgotten. I don't mean, being forgotten as someone ditching out on me because she/he forgot we were supposed to have a meal together (though that has happened before -_-). I mean, everyone who knew you forgot you completely. Opposite of forgetting people, you being forgotten by everyone. Why? Because you cease to exist. If you die and people remember you, you still exist in the world. In contrast, if everyone forget who you are....you leave nothing behind in the world.
I remember writing about this in my English journal years ago...and discussing it with someone when she asked me what my worst fear was...she...didn't really get it...But then again, it's just a thought. Nowadays, we have pictures, videos, etc...you can't be forgotten unless someone magically erase everything relating you, deleting evidence of your existence. Now that...would be a nightmare.

(dedicated to kekelitz who inspired me on this post)

2 comments:

  1. First of all, thanks for dedicate this post to me, I'm really really glad ^_^ This is really an interesting topic. While I was reading, I remind once I went to the cemitery to visit my grandparents and in one of the graves was written a simple, but deep text. (it's this text, if you want to check ^^) The phrase that called my attention was "Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?", which I think is extremely related to your post - this time I thought I really didn't want to be forgotten by people or, as you said, I won't leave nothing behind the world. But, worse than be forgotten after your death, it's be forgotten while you're still alive. Many times I was faced by the question "Are you more afraid to forget or be forgotten?", and my answer is, with no doubt anymore, to be forgotten. Even if we lost our memory, if we have people to forget, then we have people to help us to remember, to support us. But, when you are forgotten, you mean nothing to anyone. (And it can certainly happen even with pictures and videos. If people don't care, it's the same afterall) I'm not sure if I'll keep with this thought untill death, but right now I think our meaning comes from what we represent to people and how they consider us acording to our acts and thoughts - and relatioship as well. It somehow makes me wonder what's the reason you live day by day, what keeps you alive and motivates you... what would be your answer? :) I hope know the answer one day ^^

    (once again, sorry for my bad english :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read the poem. i liked it. it was very interesting and sincere...
    as to your question, i'll answer that in a different post soon enough. :)
    i have thought about it...but now you gave me a reason to post something related to it. thanks :D

    ReplyDelete